If you are between the ages of 8 and 24 years old and care for a family member we can offer:
- Support - Every young carer is assigned a support worker with who they can build a strong, trusting relationship from the outset.
- Mentoring - 1:1 mentoring support
- Family Support - complimented by our direct access into Citizens Advice CATNMWD services, with a dedicated team to help with issues such as housing, debt, benefits and employment.
- Advocacy - for young carers and attendance at TAF meetings, education meetings and other statutory meetings.
- Access to training, information and advice - through our social media platforms, the website, Facebook page (with a private group for older young carers), newsletter, and monthly thematic Live Chats.
- Ambassadors - The superb Ambassador Project - primarily a group of former young carers themselves who help us to support young people directly through our activities, attendance at Steering Groups and promotional events – their approach based upon their own personal experiences as a young carer.
- Respite Activities – Whilst we receive no specific funding for trips and activities, we intend to offer some excellent outdoor trips and activities during key holidays throughout the year.
We will also work in collaboration with Devon Carers, schools, colleges, SPACE, local charities and youth groups to promote the identification and needs of young carers. Visiting groups and getting to know young people in these settings.
Professional referrals and self-referrals always welcome. Please click on our referral form here.
Please send completed referral form to [email protected]
Contact details: Dawn Lawrence, Project Manager
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 01237 420141 or call the TTVS switchboard on 01237 420130
Young Carers Connected (YCC) is a new project working to support Young Carers in Torridge, North Devon and Mid Devon. Rising from the ashes of the familiar and hugely popular Bright Futures Upbeat and Carewise, when both projects unfortunately came to an end in the summer of 2021.
YCC is a partnership between TTVS in Bideford, Unite Carers in Mid Devon and Citizens Advice in Torridge, North, Mid and West Devon (CATNMWD) – launching on 1st February 2022. It is funded for 3 years by the National Lottery for specialist support workers in Mid Devon, North Devon and Torridge and offers carer-specific support to young carers between the ages of 8 up to 25 years.